RM/CWU National Joint Statement – Secure Locker Star 2 Postal Digital Assistant (PDA) Replacement Pilot
Branches will be aware of the business desire to upgrade its technology platforms to keep pace with changing markets and its customers’ evolving needs as part of the commitment to invest and enhance Royal Mail Group’s (RMG) mobility solution. The next strand of the PDA Renewal programme is the migration of all RMGTT Star 2 (Strategic Tracked Asset Replacement) scanning processes to the new PDA TC57x device recently deployed across the business.
This will provide Secure Locker members in Royal Mail with the best PDA in the market and remove the need for them to swap devices between scanning processes. It will also enable Royal Mail to lead the industry in service to the customer and provide the ability to continue to develop and deploy enhancements to the current service, introduce new services to grow market share and stay ahead of competition.
As such both departments have been in discussions with Royal Mail regarding an agreed Joint Statement to pilot the switch from the RMGTT Star 2 to using the PDA TC57x device to ensure that the technical capability and usability is in place. The pilot activity will be undertaken in two phases one for Delivery Offices and one for Mail Centres as outlined below:
Pilots will take place as follows:
- Phase 1 – DO Migration including National Returns Centre (see Annex A):
- Stage 1 pilot deployment is scheduled for 13th June 2022 – which will take place at Cirencester and Gloucester South Delivery Offices and National Returns Centre
- Stage 2 pilot deployment is scheduled for 20th June 2022 and will be to a further 9 units across the Gloucester (GL postcode) area
Subject to the pilot being jointly considered as successful it is anticipated that National deployment across the Royal Mail Core Delivery Office sites will commence on the 27th June 2022 and completed by August 2022.
- Phase 2 – MC Replacement including Airhubs:
- Phase 1 pilot deployment is scheduled for 15th August 2022 – which will take place at Plymouth Mail Centre
- Phase 2 pilot deployment is scheduled for 22nd August 2022 and will be to a further 2 sites – Bristol & Truro Mail Centres
- Phase 3 of the pilot deployment is scheduled for 29th August 2022 and will be to a further 2 sites – Exeter & Dorset Mail Centres
Subject to the pilot being jointly considered as successful it is anticipated that National deployment across the Mail Centre sites will commence on the 5th September 2022 and completed by early October 2022.
As per previous Joint Statements we have ensured that all training packages will be agreed and deployed via WPCs and subject to reviews between both parties. In addition, the full outputs of the pilot activity relating to the technical processes, software applications and any future national deployment will be subject to reviews nationally, with both departments represented.
Any queries to the content of the above, please contact the Outdoor Department, reference, email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Baulch Davie Robertson
CWU Assistant Secretary CWU Assistant Secretary