Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash (FY21 013) – Reversing Vehicles:
All Royal Mail Group (Royal Mail, Parcelforce, RMSS, RMPFS etc.,) drivers.
Overview and Background:
Royal Mail Group Safety Health and Environment Group have issued ‘Safety Flash’, number FY21 013, (copy attached), which urgently reinforces the important message to all drivers of the vital need for care and safety requirements when reversing a vehicle in order to prevent future, similar accidents.
Description, Issue, Impact and Effect:
An accident recently occurred when a Royal Mail van reversed from a delivery point into a nearby side road. After delivering a parcel to an elderly woman customer, the driver was unaware and did not see the elderly customer leave the house and walk behind the van, as it was reversing. The van struck, knocked down and injured the victim who sustained multiple injuries, including a broken nose, 2 fractured fingers and was hospitalised.
The driver relied on the van side mirrors but did not follow the ‘GOAL’ (Get Out And Look) principles. The victim was hospitalised with serious multiple injuries.
Key Management Activities, Learning Points and Messages to Drivers:
- Communicate, brief staff and display the SHE Safety Flash on the SHE notice board.
- Remind Drivers of ‘GOAL’ – ‘Get Out And Look’.
- Avoid reversing where possible.
- If unable to avoid reversing, walk past the rear of your vehicle when getting in, to identify any hazards.
- Turn off the radio and wind down the driver’s window to listen out for potential hazards.
- Check the mirrors whilst undertaking the reversing manoeuvre and keep listening.
- Reverse slowly.
- If a hazard is heard or seen, or if the driver is unsure if the way is clear, stop the vehicle and ‘Get Out And Look’ (GOAL) completing a check around the vehicle.
- Copy of RMG SHE Safety Flash FY21 013.
Conclusion – Key Activity – Unit PiC Action Required
Unit PICs to ensure the SHE Flash is cascaded/briefed/shared with all drivers and is clearly displayed in key locations.
National Health, Safety & Environment Officer
LTB 377/21 – Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash (FY21 013) – Reversing Vehicles
Att: SHE Flash FY21 013 Reversing Vehicles
Leave a Reply