For the immediate attention of all London Divisional CWU Members
The National union have announced that all members will be balloted for industrial from 24th September 2019. The close of the ballot and result will be announced on 8th October.
The CWU have taken the decision to ballot all members for strike action because it is quite clear that the new Royal Mail senior management regime want to introduce a cheaper more flexible employee model , whilst at the same time reducing union involvement in shaping the direction of the company.
Rico Back the New CEO has built his reputation in business based on low cost employee models and with no union recognition or involvement.
Rico Back clearly believes that the GLS model should be the future for all in Royal Mail Group.
The CWU is calling on all members to reject Royal Mail’s new vision for the future and support your union in fighting to protect your jobs and your terms and conditions.
If you support the CWU by voting yes you will be rejecting the following Royal Mail proposals
1. Royal Mail’s vision of creating separate profit and loss companies which require staff to be TUPE over which means your terms and conditions can be changed at a later date. We have seen this being proposed for Parcelforce and Royal Mail have refused to rule out further business units becoming separate profit or loss companies ! What next Fleet LTD , Logistics LTD ,Processing LTD or Delivery LTD ?
2. They want to reduce the legal guarantees secured by the CWU when we were privatised. This potentially means they want to be able to break up the company , outsource work , franchise parts of the operation , introduce a two tier workforce and employ zero hour contracts ! This is unacceptable to the CWU.
3. They have designed a new parcel strategy without any involvement of the CWU and it is the cheapest possible parcel operation. This proposal will mean that larger parcels will bypass RDCs and inward Mail centres and over a thousand delivery offices will no longer have these larger parcels meaning job losses.
4. Those circa 300 LAT units who will get the larger parcels previously delivered by 1300 will be expected to absorb one delivery in every six to ensure that they than have later drivers to deliver the larger parcels and LAT.
5. The new Royal Mail senior management team are obsessed with using PDA’s to track every delivery duty and they want to be able to resource and carry out revision activity based on the outputs of the PDA. Royal Mail have been told loud and clear a PDA is not an efficiency measure as it does not tell if an individual has started on time , taken their meal relief , performed their indoor prep , carried out delivery to neighbour etc.
6. Royal Mail want to introduce Automated Hours Data Capture so they can link signing and signing out to what you are paid.
7. Royal Mail want to introduce Resource Scheduler which if the software provider ever gets it right will be able to introduce different duty schedules including summer and winter duty models as PDA’s , AHDC and Traffic all get put into the system to provide not only the number of duties you need but the actual individual duty contents. At the moment Royal Mail cannot get Resource Scheduler to work , however they are preserving with it as they know it is a total game changer if they get it right.
8. Royal Mail still want to introduce delivery methods even thou when it was trialed it was disaster. Royal Mail still want to introduce either bench merging or merging whilst on the street.
9. Royal Mail do not want to give you the further hour off the working week which is also worth 2.6 % pay rise to part timers unless every office agrees to over 5% savings.
10. The culture in lots of workplaces is broken and causing office walkouts through the UK as a result of unacceptable management decisions or actions.
11. Royal Mail have also proposed that they would want the 30 minute flex agreement to be extended to 6 days per week as they believe they need more flexibility as. Traffic is still unpredictable. They also want to make it mandatory.
12. Within the talks Royal Mail have made it clear that they believe they can make massive savings in London including by removing 4 days weeks and other improved attendances such as Wallingtons
The above issues are what this dispute is about.
Royal Mail want to weaken the union in order to attack your terms and conditions.
All members face a stark choice !
Even stand by and let Royal Mail marginalise your union and than systematically destroy your hard fought terms and conditions or
Vote yes for industrial action and send a message to Royal Mail that the membership is up for the fight to protect our jobs , our terms and conditions and our future.
So let’s all vote yes and rise up to defend our futures.
All London Offices will have gate meetings over the few weeks.
Please support your union at this crucial time.
A statement by the London Divisional Committee