Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash FY23 005 – ‘Unbraked’ Wheeled Container Equipment – E.g. ‘Coffin’ Trolleys & ‘Auto-Levelling’ Trolleys (ALTs) – Immediate Withdrawal From Service:
Introduction, Background and Description:
A recent minor impact injury accident, caused by an old ‘time-expired’ ‘Coffin’ Trolley led to an investigation which discovered that a number of offices had somehow retained in service use, old, un-braked, un-checked, wheeled trolley equipment which had been officially withdrawn from service via ‘mandatory’ instructions some years ago due primarily to the fact that they do not have a braking system fitted. Notices were previously issued to all Unit PiCs to remove this equipment from service.
- An employee was injured by a rollaway, unbraked, Coffin Trolley in a Delivery Office. The Coffin Trolley should not have been in use.
Key Messages, Learning Points and Actions:
Royal Mail Group’s Safety Team have issued RMG SHE Safety Flash FY23 005 following the recent injury accident, repeating previous instructions that all unbraked, wheeled container equipment, mainly ‘Coffin’ Trolleys and ‘ALT’ Trolleys and any other unbraked wheeled container equipment are no longer approved for use in Royal Mail Group operational offices and any remaining units are to be immediately withdrawn from service by the PiC/Office Management and disposed of via the Royal Mail Group Assets Team who will arrange removal and disposal.
- PiCs to brief all staff on this SHE Flash.
- PiCs to withdraw from service any remaining ‘Coffin’ Trolleys, ‘ALT’ Trolleys etc., and any other similar unbraked equipment.
- PiCs to contact email@example.com arrange collection, removal and disposal.
CWU ASR/WSR Action:
- WSRs/ASRs please ensure that this Safety Flash is communicated to the workforce and that the PiCs actions above are deployed.
- Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash FY23 005 – ‘Unbraked’ Wheeled Container Equipment – E.g. ‘Coffin’ Trolleys & ‘Auto-Levelling’ Trolleys (ALTs) – Immediate withdrawal From Service:
National Health, Safety & Environment Officer
LTB 051/23 – Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash FY23 005 – ‘Unbraked’ Wheeled Container Equipment
SHE Flash FY23 005 – Unbraked Equipment
Leave a Reply