Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash FY23 002 – Fan Heater Fire:
Background and Description:
Royal Mail Group’s Safety Team have issued RMG SHE Safety Flash FY23 002 following a fan heater and extension lead fire incident in a delivery unit manager’s office which caused significant damage.
A manager arrived, switched on a fan heater in his office after arriving at work and spent the morning moving between the manager’s office and the operational floor. Approximately two hours later staff saw that an electrical fire had developed within the office. The fire was subsequently found to have started from an extension lead connected to the small portable fan heater. The extension lead melted and the fire caused considerable damage to the walls, desk and electrical equipment in the office. (See Photos in attached SHE Safety Flash).
- Considerable fire and smoke damage to property; walls, desk, electrical equipment etc.
- The fire was contained within the one office room.
- No workforce injuries.
Key Messages, Learning Points and Actions:
- Only officially supplied and provided heaters and power supply extension leads to be used on RMG premises.
- Switch off all portable heaters when not in the room being heated.
- All portable appliances and power supply leads to be PAT tested – this is ‘mandatory’.
- Ensure portable heaters are not in close proximity to other objects and leads are not in contact with heaters or hot surfaces.
- Ensure fire doors are kept closed. This compartmentalises the building and stops any fires from spreading quickly to other areas.
- If areas or rooms are cold and not at a reasonable temperature, then a request should be logged with NSC helpdesk to ensure sufficient heating is provided.
- Oil filled convector type heaters should be used in preference to portable ‘fan’ heaters.
- All faults to be promptly reported to NSC helpdesk and faulty equipment should be removed from use.
- PiCs to brief all staff on this SHE Flash and deploy the above Key Messages, Learning Points and Actions:
CWU ASR/WSR Action:
- Please ensure that this Safety Flash is communicated and brought to the attention of all appropriate members and that actions above are deployed.
- Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash FY23 002 – Fan Heater Fire
National Health, Safety & Environment Officer
23LTB013Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash FY23 002 – Fan Heater Fire
SHE Flash FY23 002 – Fan Heater Fire
Leave a Reply