Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash FY22 012 – Serious Slip, Trip & Fall Accident in a Garden – Metal ‘Arrowhead/Spearhead’ Railing Fence Spike Penetrated Postman’s Leg:
Background and Description – What Happened:
Royal Mail Group’s Safety Team have issued RMG SHE Safety Flash FY22 012 following a serious injury slip, trip and fall accident.
The accident and injury occurred when a postman/OPG member was taking a ‘short-cut’ from one delivery point to the next customer’s delivery point. He attempted to step over a 2 feet high metal railing type fence which had sharp arrow head or spear head design tops. In doing so he slipped, falling on to the fence and one of the metal arrowhead/spearhead railings penetrated his leg.
The injured postman sustained a serious leg laceration and suffered shock. He was attended at the scene by a rapid response paramedic team who administered a drip before he was taken to hospital by ambulance to receive emergency treatment on his leg wound which required multiple stitches.
Key Messages, Learning Points and DOM/PiC Actions:
- Never take short cuts and stay on the recognised, established footpath.
- Always follow the RMG Deliveries Safe System of Work (SSoW).
- Unit managers to brief the contents of the Safety Flash to all delivery employees and check that they are aware of and have been briefed on the Deliveries SSoW.
- Unit managers to ensure all delivery postmen/women employees have had the Delivery SSOW communicated to them in the last 12 months.
- Unit managers to incorporate the above learning points in their ‘First Class Safety Conversations.’
CWU ASR/WSR Action:
Please ensure that this Safety Flash, images and Delivery SSoW are communicated to all members.
- Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash FY22 012 – Slips, Trips and Falls Injury
- Royal Mail Group Delivery Safe System of Work (SSoW)
National Health, Safety & Environment Officer