Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash (FY21 019) – Vehicle Parking:
All Royal Mail and Parcelforce Delivery, Collection and Distribution Drivers and managers who manage drivers and fleet vehicles.
Key Message and Overview:
In order to greatly increase visibility and in doing so reduce the risk of collisions with other vehicles and pedestrians, where possible ensure that all vehicles reverse park into parking spaces so vehicles are facing forward for the next manoeuvre when driving away. This applies to parking in operational yards and parking spaces whilst out on delivery.
Description, Issue, Impact and Effect:
Driving into parking spaces greatly reduces drivers’ visibility when exiting the parking bays. As well as having to use mirrors to reverse, it also creates a blind spot directly behind the vehicle which increases the risk of a collision to either another vehicle or pedestrians. On the other hand, reverse parking into parking spaces reduces the risk of a collision with other vehicles, pedestrians or stationary objects.
- Driving forward into parking bays results in the driver having to reverse the vehicle out into what may be a traffic busy yard.
- Reversing out of a parking bay reduces visibility for the driver which increases the risk of a collision.
- Drivers are advised to ensure, where possible, that all vehicles are reverse parked.
- As per RMG (SHE) Safety Flash (FY21 013), when reversing into a parking bay check the way is clear, exercise extra care and attention, if not sure get out and look around, reverse slowly, checking mirrors, keep listening, turn off the radio.
Conclusion – Key Management Activities – Unit PiC Action Required
- Promote the best practice of reverse parking wherever possible through WTLL/huddles, visuals in the unit and on-going coaching and safety conversations.
- As part of first-class safety conversations in the yard ensure correct parking methods are monitored and where vehicles are not correctly parked ensure coaching takes place to promote best practise.
- Communicate the ‘Safety Flash FY21 019 with drivers and display it on the Make Safety Personal notice board.
- Copy of RMG SHE Safety Flash FY21 019 including images.
National Health, Safety & Environment Officer