Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash – Increased use of Pallets and Cardboard Containers During Christmas Peak – Fire Hazard Caused By Build-Up of Unmanaged Combustible Materials:
The attached ‘Safety Flash’ (SHE Flash FY20 022 ‘Housekeeping and Pallet Storage’) has been issued by Royal Mail Group’s Safety, Health and Environment Group to RM Distribution, RM Logistics, RM Processing and Parcelforce.
The shortage of York Containers during the combined Pandemic and Christmas pressure period has resulted in the increased use of wooden pallets and cardboard containers. The knock-on effect has been a build-up of hazardous, combustible, ‘fire-risk’ materials in a number of sites which has been left unmanaged.
This ‘fire-risk’ has been identified and reported by ASRs and visiting Enforcing Authority Inspectors requiring remedial action.
- All waste, including pallets and cardboard must be managed at all times.
- Interior site: must not have excess build-up of waste materials, must not block or impede any designated pedestrian access routes and fire exit routes.
- Exterior site: must not store waste within 10 metres of the building unless assessed on an individual basis and agreed with the SHE Advisor.
- RMG insurance requirement is for internal stacking of pallets to be no more than 5 high in a maximum of 4 stacks with a separation of 1.8m between stacks.
Key Managers’ Activities and Learning Points set out in the Safety Flash are to:
- Ensure all combustibles are kept at a safe distance from the buildings and ignition sources.
- Ensure there is no build-up of combustibles within the building, specifically along fire exit routes, blocking fire exits, within plant rooms and gantries and nowhere close to any ignition source.
- Display Safety Flash on the SHE Notice Board and brief employees on the flash content and SSOW.
- Review the Pallet and Non-Wheeled Containers Task Risk Assessment.
- Review your Fire Risk Assessment where any action is taken or processes changed.
Area Health and Safety Reps
Would all CWU Area Health and Safety Reps please note and communicate the content of the Safety Flash, supporting the key messages and learning points, reminding members of the importance of looking after their own safety as well as the safety of work colleagues and to report all fire safety hazards and unsafe working conditions.
- RMG SHE Safety Flash FY20 022 Housekeeping and Pallet Storage
National Health, Safety & Environment Officer
20LTB610 Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash – Increased use of Pallets and Cardboard Containers During Christmas Peak
Leave a Reply