Mental Health Awareness Week (MHAW) 18 – 24 May 2020 – Royal Mail Group Campaign & Communications Plan – “Kindness Matters”:
Royal Mail Group have today, shared with the CWU/HQ Health Safety and Environment Department their plans for next week’s Mental Health Awareness Week, the outline details of which are set out below and in the attached Communications pack, we are circulating for the information and attention of Health and Safety Reps, Mental Health First Aiders and Ambassadors, CWU Branches and Regions.
RMG’s Mental Health Awareness Week (MHAW):-
See attached three key, central articles which will go out across the Royal Mail Group intranet news and ‘Myroyalmail.com’ pages next week, as well as a slide which will go on to every workplace plasma screen across the business.
- Being a key worker and the stress and anxiety that can be associated with that.
- Managing relationships and domestic abuse guidance
- Supporting colleagues following a bereavement or illness of a loved one
Promoting some options for workers:
Royal Mail Group’s Safety Health and Environment team will continue to promote mental health options for workers in distress as follows;
- Mental health support is available from the First Class Support helpline which is available 24/7. It’s confidential and free to use.
- Talk to the GP.
- Visit the Feeling First Class website where staff can access lots of support material.
- Talk to a manager, Union Rep, Mental Health First Aider/Ambassador or colleague (following government social distancing guidelines at all times if face to face) who can help guide individuals to the right support services.
- Stressing to those struggling that conversations will be treated confidentially.
- Supporting each other – communicate, encourage colleagues to talk and take the time to listen without judgement, some people just need to be heard, others need professional support and directing to support services and help them to access what they need.
Reminding The Workforce That Help is at Hand as follows:
- First Class Support is a 24/7, completely confidential and independent helpline for employees. Call 0800 6888777 to receive the following support:
- Shout Mental Health Text Service is a free, nationwide, 24/7, text based service. Text Shout to 85258 in the UK to text with a trained Crisis Volunteer.
- Mental health support – Call and speak with someone trained to help you immediately with your mental health. Support can help with any work-related or personal issues in a non-judgemental and confidential environment. A range of care is available and can be provided by telephone or face to face.
- Legal signposting – Legal information is available via telephone with a legal expert (for up to 20 minutes) on a wide range of issues.
- Practical help – Advice on how to clear debts is available, even large debts which are out of control. Understand government benefits, resolve accommodation issues and receive guidance on accessing elder and child care, cancer and disability support. Domestic violence is an issue that can sometimes occur and support and guidance can be provided to those impacted.
- Manager coaching – Coaching on how to help and support others going through change or where there are traumatic situations at work such as a road traffic accident or assault. It also includes those times where there is a workforce conflict or if there are difficult behaviour issues at work.
- Physical health – Life-style support designed to increase physical health and fitness as well as improving work life balance and resilience. Information can also be provided for Royal Mail Groups wellbeing website Feeling First Class (see below for more information).
- The Feeling First Class Portal has helpful support content for mental and physical health as well as the mental health e-Learning.
- Urgent Crisis Support – The Samaritans (Phone: 116 123 -open 24/7).
- Rowland Hill Fund: 0345 600 4586rowlandhillfund.org offering financial aid to the workforce, pensioners and their families in times of need.
- Neyber: Through My Bundle’s Financial Wellbeing option you can access debt consolidation loans and financial education. Log into My Bundle through PSP or visit myroyalmail.com.
- Stepchange: Offering expert, tailored advice and practical solutions to problem debt, contact the UK’s leading debt charity on 0800 138 1111 or visit stepchange.org.
National Health, Safety & Environment Officer