National Climate Emergency Conference We Demand Education For The Future Saturday 12 October 10.00 – 5.00pm
The Greener Jobs Alliance (GJA) have informed us of this Climate Change 1-day Conference event taking place on Saturday 12 October 10.00 – 5.00pm at the National Education Union (NEU), Regent High School, Chalton Street London NW1 1RX.
This one-day Conference is aimed at workers and students from across the world of education to discuss, in plenaries and workshops, how we can work together to bring about the change we so desperately need. Student strikes have inspired a generation of new activists and pushed the climate emergency to the top of the political agenda.
Speakers confirmed so far:
- Kevin Courtney – NEU General Secretary School Climate Striker
- Zamzam Ibrahim – President NUS
- Amelia Womack – Deputy Leader of the Green Party
- Professor Joy Carter – University of Winchester
- Richard Dunne – Head teacher at Ashley Primary School
- Henry Greenwood – Green School Project
- Farhana Yamin – Extinction Rebellion
- Suzanne Jeffery – Campaign against Climate Change
For tickets and further information:
Student strikes have pushed the climate emergency to the top of the political agenda. Join this one-day conference to explore what climate breakdown means for education, how we can re-shape the curriculum and how educators and students can come together to take action for climate justice.
With activists from the school strike movement, Kevin Courtney (General Secretary, National Education Union), Zamzam Ibrahim (President, National Union of Students), Farhana Yamin (international climate change lawyer, Extinction Rebellion activist), Amelia Womack (Deputy Leader of the Green Party), Professor Peter Piper (University of Sheffield), Labour for a Green New Deal and many more.
- How to declare a climate emergency at your school or college
- What does solidarity with school strikes look like?
- Philosophy for children: Thinking together about climate justice
- Voices above the coal: Using art to explore extractivism
- Debunking denial: The science of climate change
- Building in the workplace: Reps for environmental conditions
- Heading for extinction? Presenting the reality to students
- Deeper than oil: Climate change as an ideological issue
- Campaigning for a Green New Deal
- Practical steps to green your school or college
Organiser of Education for the Future: Climate Emergency Conference
The NEU is the largest education union in Tower Hamlets, representing over 2,500 teachers and support staff. As well as offering support to individual members, they are well organised and aim to involve members in discussion, debate and campaigning.
Education for the Future: Climate Emergency Conference at:
Regent High School
Date and Time
Saturday, 12 October 2019
10:00 – 17:00 BST
Regent High School
Refunds up to 7 days before event.
National Health, Safety & Environment Officer