URGENT CWU Exchange Mentoring – Activists Supporting Activists 2019 – Closing Date Extension
The deadline for applying to become a CWU Mentor has been extended until midday Friday 26th April 2019. Please consider putting yourself forward for this vitally important role!
A key aspect of supporting our representative structure is the continuation, development and further roll out of the CWU Exchange Mentoring Scheme.
“CWU Exchange Mentoring” is the CWU mentoring scheme designed to develop new activists through utilising the skills and experience of our more experienced representatives.
The initial pilot scheme was targeted at relatively new Women, BAME and Youth activists who were active in their Branch, workplace or Region and most had been active for up to three years.
Widening the programme and selection of additional CWU Exchange Mentors
Potential new mentors from across the whole union are now invited to apply through a formal application process.
If any current representatives are interested, please complete the attached application form which will detail skills, experiences and understanding of mentoring.
A national Steering Group will shortlist the successful candidates and they will be invited to attend a two day training course. The following criteria will apply:
- At least 5 years’ experience within the CWU at a senior level at Branch, Regional, National, or IR level
- Excellent communications skills including public speaking
- A demonstrable commitment to developing new activists
- An understanding of the role of mentoring within a trade union
- Ability to commit specified time to the mentoring role
- It will be desirable but not essential to have experience of delivering training, workshops, briefings etc. to other representatives or in the wider labour movement.
Building on the success of the Mentoring for BAME and Women courses delivered previously, we will provide a two day course with the following aims:
- To develop mentoring skills
- To understand the roles and responsibilities of CWU mentors
- To understand and apply mentoring skills in line with the requisite ethical standards
- To understand and apply the processes and policies of delivering mentoring according to the CWU Exchange Scheme
The training will be delivered by suitably qualified tutors on the following dates at the Elstead Hotel:
Course option 1: Commence 12:00 13th May 2019 – Finish 12:00 14th May 2019
Course option 2: Commence 12:00 14th May 2019 – Finish 12:00 15th May 2019
How to apply
Potential mentors will need to apply by completing the attached application form. Please give us as much information as possible and return your application by 17:00 on Friday 26th April 2019.
We will ask potential mentees to apply via a similar application process in due course detailing their experience to date, any barriers that they are facing and letting us know what they are looking for in a mentor.
Selection and matching of Mentees and Mentors
The Steering group will then be responsible for short listing mentors and potential mentees and for matching them with one of our trained mentors. This will be based on geography, particular areas of interest, constituency, and what they are seeking from the mentoring process.
If you are interested please return your completed application form to:
Michelle Simpson, CWU, 150 The Broadway, Wimbledon, London SW19 1RX. Alternatively email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Any queries relating to this LTB should be directed to Lee Wakeman (email@example.com) in the first instance.