RE: Attendance Agreement – Statement on Short Term Modifications and Phased Return to Work – Rehabilitation
Branches and Members will be aware we have been challenging the business to ensure the Attendance Agreement is applied correctly. Section 7 of the Four Pillars agreement states “Both parties agree to undertake a joint review to improve the management of sick absence and improve overall attendance levels. This review will build on the joint work already completed on attendance last year and will look at best practice in attendance in other industries.”
LTB 020/2019 provided a tripartite statement on the contact strategy which should have eradicated the misuse in this section of the attendance agreement. Issues have also been reported on members not getting proper rehabilitation when returning from sick absence and we have now agreed a tripartite statement with Royal Mail and Unite/CMA. The joint statement (attached) reaffirms commitment to the Attendance Agreement and deals specifically with short term modifications and phased return to work, which is part of supporting members who require rehabilitation when returning to work from sick absence.
It commits to ensuring:-
- The manager meets with the employee to identify if there are any changes required to their normal role to enable them to stay in or return to work.
- Short term modification and/or phased return to work plans should be agreed via conversation between the manager and employee, focussing on what can actually be performed.
- The employee will return to work and receive full pay.
- Managers should hold weekly meetings with the employee to discuss progress and adjust plans where necessary.
- Plans will be extended beyond 4 weeks where appropriate.
This statement should eradicate the inconsistency of rehabilitation and ensure all members who require rehabilitation will agree a plan which consists of a short term modification and/or a phased return to work.
Any enquiries should be addressed to PTCS department, quoting reference PTC/RE/sn/402. Email address: email@example.com