Many of you will be members of the Labour Party. We ask that you put the model motion below to your CLP as a matter of urgency.
Please share this with any Labour Party members in your office.
This Branch/CLP believes that:
1. following an overwhelming ballot result Royal Mail should have listened to its staff and recognised the need to shift its position, instead of taking them to court to secure an injunction to delay strike action;
2. Royal Mail should never have been privatised. Alongside the increasing pressure on staff and their terms and conditions, the public are seeing price increases, cuts to services – for instance, with delivery office closures across the country – and asset stripping with over £200m worth of property having been sold off;
3. This is the familiar story of privatisation, with hedge funds and senior executives reaping the rewards. In just three and a half years Royal Mail has paid out over £620m in dividends to private shareholders – just under £500,000 every day – and last year alone Royal Mail’s CEO saw her pay packet increase by 23%; and
4. Royal Mail is an important public service and part of our national infrastructure that should be re-nationalised by a Labour government and brought back together with the Post Office in public ownership at the earliest opportunity.
This Branch/CLP therefore resolves to:
1. contact local CWU postal branches to express support for its members in the current dispute;
2. mobilise support for future picket lines;
3. take a solidarity photo at this meeting to be shared on social media tagging @cwunews; and
4. ask our MP and councillors to make clear statements in support of CWU members in Royal Mail.