Royal Mail Group (SHE) Safety Flash FY21 001 – Spill Kits For Spills of Oil and Fuel In Yards – Oil and Fuel Spills Can Cause significant Environmental Damage: (Reminder)
Spills of oil and fuel in yards can cause significant environmental damage.
Description, Issue and Impact/Effect:
There have been a number of spill incidents in RM sites recently, both from vehicles and bulk fuel tanks, e.g, a 7.5t vehicle suffered a defective fuel pump and diesel was spilt on the approach road, and in the yard. There were spill granules on site, but these were not deemed sufficient to absorb the spill, so the PPFS Helpdesk was called. The clean-up contractor did not arrive for 8 hours. Environmental incidents need to be dealt with immediately to reduce the on and off-site environmental impact.
All sites where operational vehicles visit or park and/or where oil or fuel is stored should have spill kits readily available for use.
- Spill kits should be used to stop pollutants getting to vulnerable areas like drains and grassland/soil.
- Spill kits can become damaged or depleted. Check spill kits and reorder if necessary.
- Ensure an ERICA report is completed to report any spillages/environmental incidents.
Key Messages and Activity
- Oil/fuel spill kits must be available/accessible on sites where operational vehicles are parked or visit.
- Spill kits to be deployed quickly, to prevent spillages getting into unprotected ground or drains.
- Set out and understand RMG policy at local level/check and restock/provide spill kits (available from ‘ARIBA’).
- Provide training to all operational areas that could have a spill, drivers locally, managers and PPFS cleaning staff, using ‘Stay Calm On-Line Manual’.
Area Health and Safety Reps
This is being issued as a reminder. Would all CWU Area Health and Safety Reps please note and communicate the content of the Safety Flash, supporting the key messages and learning points, reminding members of the importance of looking after their own safety as well as the safety of work colleagues and to report all fire safety hazards and unsafe working conditions.
RMG SHE Safety Flash FY21 001 ‘Spill Kits’.
National Health, Safety & Environment Officer