Redesign – Revised Regional Constitution
Branches will be aware that following the rule changes agreed at the Special Rules Revision Conference held in Bournemouth on the 29th April 2019, it is necessary to revise the Regional Constitution in order to facilitate the introduction of the new Redesign Regional Structure.
The National Executive Council (NEC) meeting held on the 25th July, agreed the attached revised Regional Constitution. Branches will note there is a need to elect a number of new Regional positions and arrangements are being made by Regional Secretaries for those nominations and elections to take place with the aim of introducing the new structure from 1st September 2019.
Any enquiries on the above LTB should be addressed to email@example.com
REGIONAL COMMITTEE CONSTITUTION
The Committee shall be known as the CWU (Insert name) Regional Committee.
- The Regional Committee shall be composed of Regional Chair, Regional Secretary, Regional Financial Secretary, Assistant Regional Secretary, Regional Executive Committee members and delegates from Branches (the delegation strength of each Branch shall be detailed in each Regional Committee Constitution).
- Branch delegates from Branches within the Regional Committee boundary in line with the following formula:
Up to 1000 members 1 delegate
1001 to 2000 members 2 delegates
2001 and over members 3 delegates
The objectives of the Regional Committee shall be:
- To work under the direction of the NEC and oversee all non-industrial work within the Region.
- To support the development of the union’s work within the wider trade union movement, including building stronger links to TUC Regional Structures.
- To support the development of the union’s political work, including building stronger links with the relevant Labour Party structures.
- To support the development and delivery of the union’s Organising and Recruitment Strategy.
- To support the development and delivery of the union’s Equality, Education, Learning & Training Strategy.
- To support and oversee the work of our Branches and implement strategies such as the CWU measures of success.
- To develop Regional priorities and campaigns that support the general strategies of the union.
- To support the development of the union’s Communications and Engagement Strategy.
- AUTHORITY AND FUNCTIONS
The Committee shall operate under the authority and directive of the General Secretary and in accordance with the CWU National Rules and Regional Constitution(s). It shall be subject to the decisions of Annual Conference.
The authority and functions of Regional Committees shall be incorporated within the Constitution of the Regional Committees.
Regional Committees may only exercise such powers, perform such functions and discharge such duties as may from time to time be delegated to them or each of them by the NEC or General Conference.
Regional Committees shall not instruct, authorise or permit an Officer of the Regional Committee to do any act which is contrary to these Rules, or to refrain from doing any act which he/she is required under the Rules to perform.
No Regional Committee shall have read to it any unauthorised circular or address relating to the conduct of the Union or its business or to the conduct of its Officers or members.
A Regional Committee shall on receipt of an unauthorised circular or address send both the envelope and the circular to the General Secretary immediately.
Regional Committees will have an entitlement to submit items for General and Rules Revision Conferences.
- Regional Committee meeting shall meet 4 times a year. One of the Regional meetings will be a Regional Conference. Branch attendance at Regional meetings will be mandatory.
- Decisions taken at all Regional meetings will be by a simple majority.
- Notice of meetings, the minutes of the previous meeting, the Secretary’s report and terms of any motions received will be dispatched not later than fourteen days prior to the date of the meeting.
- All meetings shall adopt the Standing Orders appended to this Constitution.
- REGIONAL OFFICERS
The Principal Officers of the Regional Committee shall be Chair, Secretary, Financial Secretary and Assistant Secretary. At least 2 of these positions should be held by women and no single individual can hold more than one of these positions at any one time.
The duties of the Regional Officers shall be detailed within the Regional Committee Constitution
- DUTIES OF REGIONAL OFFICERS
The Regional Chair will preside over meetings of the Regional Committee and Regional Executive meetings. The Chair shall be responsible to the National Executive Council for the proper conduct of the meetings.
The Regional Secretary shall be the principal representative of CWU Headquarters in the Region and shall co-ordinate all activity in the Region. The roles and responsibilities of the Regional Secretary, as agreed by the NEC, are attached as Appendix A.
Additionally, the Regional Secretary shall undertake correspondence on behalf of the Regional Committee and Regional Executive Committee. The Regional Secretary will be responsible for the preparation of minutes of all meetings of the Regional Committee, Regional Executive Committee and Regional Sub Committee Meetings.
The Regional Secretary will be responsible for preparing written reports, the paragraphs of the reports to carry recommendations and the draft reports to be forwarded to the General Secretary’s Office not later than 28 days prior to the date of the meeting.
By right of office the Regional Secretary will be included as part of all Regional Labour Party delegations (except in Northern Ireland). In the event that the Regional Secretary is not a member of the Labour Party the Assistant Secretary will take on this role, or the Regional Chair, if the Assistant Secretary is not a member of the Labour Party.
By right of office the Regional Secretary will be included on all Regional TUC delegations. The Regional Secretary for Scotland shall be included in the delegation for the STUC. The Regional Secretary for Wales and the Marches shall be included in the delegation for the Wales TUC. The Regional Secretary for Northern Ireland shall be included in the ICTU delegation however this will be subject to the provisions of National Rule 8.10.
A Regional Secretary, when not a Branch delegate, shall attend Annual Conference in an ex officio capacity, having the right of speech but no voting powers. They may participate in the discussions at Conference at the specific request of a Branch within the Region.
- Assistant Regional Secretary
The Assistant Regional Secretary shall deputise for the Regional Secretary during absence.
Additionally the Assistant Regional Secretary will support the Regional Secretary and be the lead Regional Representative on Communications and Campaigns.
The Regional Assistant Secretary will be the Lead Representative for the Regional Equality Sub Committee.
- d) Regional Financial Secretary
The Regional Financial Secretary shall be responsible for the control and administration of the Regional Funds and for ensuring that the finances of the region are conducted in accordance with the rules and policies of the union
The Regional Financial Secretary shall prepare an annual financial statement that shall be placed before the Regional Committee for approval.
Additional the Regional Financial Secretary shall prepare and produce a financial statement for each Regional Committee meeting.
- REGIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
There will be within each CWU Region a Regional Executive Committee who will oversee the work of the Region in between full Regional Committee meetings.
The Regional Executive Committee will meet 4 times per year in between full Regional Committee meetings.
The CWU Regional Executive Committee will comprise of the following elected representatives:
Regional Assistant Secretary
Regional Financial Secretary
Regional Political Officer
Regional Lead – Women
Regional Lead – BAME
Regional Lead – LGBT
Regional Lead – Disability
Regional Lead – Young Workers
Regional Lead – Retired Members
Regional Lead – Health and Safety
Regional Lead – Education, Learning and Training
The Regional Executive Committee will also comprise of the following ex-Officio members:
Regional, Territorial and Field Industrial Leads
Designated NEC Member
- ELECTION PROCEDURES
All elections for the Principal Regional Committee Officer positions and the Regional Executive Committee positions will be elected by Branches within the Regions on a one union basis.
The election for the Regional Secretary will be on an individual member ballot of all members in the Region. The election period will be for two years. The successful candidate shall be the individual who receives the highest number of votes cast.
Elections for the Regional Chair, Regional Financial Secretary and Regional Assistant Secretary, shall be conducted at the Regional AGM. The elections for these positions shall be conducted in the accordance with the following sequence:
1) Regional Chair
2) Regional Financial Secretary
3) Regional Assistant Secretary
The elections for the Regional Executive Committee positions will be conducted at the Regional AGM.
The Regional Secretary will be the returning officer for these elections. All Branches shall be eligible to vote and will be allocated to vote in accordance with their membership size at the time of the elections. The successful candidate(s) will be the individual(s) who receive the highest number of votes cast.
All candidates for Regional positions shall require the nomination of their own branch
Regional Committees will receive 2% of Branch rebate which will be paid direct into the Regional Fund.
The Regional Fund will be distributed on the basis of a bidding system based on clear plans and clear measurable outputs.
When attending Regional meetings the Principal Regional Officers (Regional Secretary, Regional Chair, Regional Financial Secretary and Regional Assistant Secretary) will be entitled to travel and subsistence to be paid from the Regional Fund.
There shall be four Trustees: Regional Chair, Regional Secretary, Regional Assistant Secretary and Regional Treasurer, who shall be the signatories of the Fund.
The Regional Committee Fund shall be maintained at Unity Trust Bank, which will accept two of the four Trustees signatures for business transactions.
All Regions shall ensure that the finances of the Region are conducted in strict accordance with the Rules and Policies of the Union.
All expenditure including donations will require the approval of the Regional Committee and must be in accordance with the Union’s Rules, Policies and Objectives.
The Regional Committee Fund shall be audited annually by two Auditors elected at the Regional Committee AGM. The account shall be submitted to, and subject to audit by, CWU headquarters and the Union’s professional Auditors.
- REGIONAL SUB COMMITTEES
There shall be 6 Regional Sub Committees:
- Regional Equality Sub Committee comprising of Branch Women’s Officers, Branch Equality Officers, Branch BAME Officers and other representatives from the 4 equality streams.
- Regional Health and Safety Sub Committee comprising Lead Health and Safety Representatives from all Branches.
- Regional Young Workers Sub Committee comprising of 1 delegate per branch.
- Regional Retired Members Sub Committee comprising of 1 delegate per branch.
- Regional Education, Learning and Training Sub Committee comprising of Branch Lead ULR’s and Branch Secretaries.
- Regional Political Sub Committee comprising of Branch Political Officers.
Regional Sub Committees shall adopt and operate the Regional Sub Committee constitution approved by the NEC.
- STANDING ORDERS OF CWU REGIONAL COMMITTEE (S)
These standing orders shall also cover the meetings of the Regional Executive Committee and Regional Sub Committees:
- Order Of Business
- Adoption of Standing Orders.
- Minutes of Previous Meeting.
- Regional Secretary’s / Regional Lead Reports together with associated Amendments.
- Motions and Amendments.
- Any Other Competent Business.
- Branches desiring to submit a motion for the consideration of the Regional Committee shall send it in writing to reach the Chair not later than 14 days before the meeting.
- No motion shall be accepted for the Agenda unless it has been submitted to and approved by the sponsoring branch committee.
- Motions which are accepted by the Chair shall be forwarded to the General Secretary not later than 7 days prior to the date of the meeting.
- Any motion submitted which deals with a subject covered by the Regional Secretary’s Report shall be treated as an amendment to the recommendation at the end of the relevant paragraph.
- Motions shall be circulated in advance of the meeting to Branches by the Regional Secretary.
- Any amendments to motions or recommendations contained in the Regional Secretary’s Report shall be sent in writing to reach the Chair not later than three days prior to the meeting.
- Such amendments accepted by the Chair shall be circulated to the delegates at the opening of the meeting.
- Order of Debate
- A delegate when speaking shall address the Chair and if two or more members indicate to speak at the same time, the Chair shall decide to whom priority shall be given.
- A delegate who speaks, shall direct his/her speech strictly to a motion under discussion, or to a question of order
- Motions or Amendments in the name of a Branch must be moved by a delegate of that Branch.
- Proposers for motions to amend reports shall be allowed eight minutes, but other speakers shall be limited to four minutes.
- Proposers of motions to amend reports shall be allowed four minutes and subsequent speakers, three minutes. Speeches shall be due to be completed within the times allowed. An extension of time granted to a speaker shall not exceed that originally granted.
- Formal motions accepted, the mover of an original motion may reply to the discussion and shall confine themselves to answering previous speakers, and shall not introduce any new matter into the debate. No other delegate shall be heard a second time on any motion or amendment.
- No discussion shall be allowed on formal motions, such as “That the meeting be now adjourned” or “That the debate now be adjourned” or “That the meeting proceed to the next business”.
- A second motion, “That the meeting do now adjourn” or “That the debate be now adjourned” or “That the meeting now proceed to the next business” shall not be made within a period of one hour of meeting time unless it is suggested by the Chair.
- A motion or amendment once made and seconded shall not be withdrawn except by the majority consent of the meeting.
- If an amendment be carried, the motion as amended shall take the place of the original motion, and shall become the question upon which any further amendment may be moved.
- Points of order must deal with the conduct and procedure of debate.
- Suspension of Standing Orders
- Any one or more of the Standing Orders, in any case of urgency, or upon a motion made on notice duly given, may be suspended at any meeting in regard to any business at a meeting. The Standing Order of Orders involved must be specified in any such motion. A motion for the suspension of Standing Orders will not be deemed carried unless a clear majority of the delegates present vote in favour.
- A second motion for the suspension of Standing Orders for the purpose of varying the order of business, shall not be accepted within a period of one hour of meeting time, unless it is suggested by the Chair.
Decisions taken at all Regional meetings will be by a simple majority.
Regional Secretary Roles and Responsibilities
Reports To: CWU General Secretary
REGIONAL SUB COMMITTEES
This Sub Committee shall be known as the CWU (insert name of region) Regional Sub Committee (insert name).
- Committee Composition
The composition for the Regional Sub Committee will be detailed in the Regional Constitution,
- To promote and actively campaign CWU Policy on (insert title).
- To encourage CWU Representatives and members to take a more active part in Branch affairs, the union in general, as well as political issues affecting the subject matter of the Sub Committee.
- To encourage CWU members to become Branch committee members and union activists.
- To report to the Regional Committee on matters raised at the Regional Sub Committee.
- To deal with issues and to pursue them through the Branch and Regional.
- Elections will be conducted in accordance with the Regional Constitution
- Regional Lead
The Regional Lead for the respective Sub Committees will be:
Regional Equality Sub Committee – Regional Assistant Secretary
Regional Health & Safety Sub Committee – Regional Lead Health & Safety
Regional Young Workers Sub Committee – Regional Lead – Young Workers
Regional Retired Members Sub Committee – Regional Lead – Retired Members
Regional Education, Learning and Training Sub Committee – Regional Lead –
Education, Learning and Training
Regional Political Sub Committee – Regional Political Officer
- Regional Lead Duties
- Under the direction of the Regional Committee the Regional Lead will be responsible for developing and delivering the respective policies, aims and objectives relevant to the sub-committee of the Region in accordance with the Regional Development plan and the rules and policies of the union.
- To assist and support branches in regards to matters relevant to the sub-committee
- The Regional Lead will liaise with the relevant CWU National and Branch Representatives as appropriate.
- The Regional Lead will be responsible for dealing with all correspondence relevant to the Sub Committee.
- The Regional Lead shall prepare an annual report that shall be placed before the Regional Committee for approval.
- The Regional Lead shall prepare a report to be placed before each Regional Committee meeting for approval.
- It will be the responsibility of the Regional Lead to prepare the agenda and minutes of the sub- committee meetings and circulate them to the members of the Sub Committee (Regional Secretary and Branch Secretaries) to enable issues contained in the minutes to be pursued through the Branch and Region as necessary.
- Meeting Arrangements
- a) The Committee will meet 4 times per year.
- b) The quorum for the meetings shall be one third of Branches entitled to attend.